I started on the bracers first because I could get to the fabric store just then (and tbh I was a little nervous in sewing as usual so I procrastinated). This is my first time working with craft foam in making it look like.. something like... armor! I chose Tiki mainly because she didn't have too much of it, so I was able to feel comfortable in trial and error without buying too much material.
While I did prime the foam an off-white, I chose yellow in case the gold paint I got was a little too sheer (which it was). The yellow made for a good base, though in normal cases I guess you'd layer on the gesso until it was opaque. This was also my first time trying to weather something and I don't think it turned out very nice (up close) but I believe that was mainly due to the weird designs Tiki has on her bracers.
Initially I wanted to make a dragonstone with an acrylic ball and some paint, but when I went to the craft store the attendant said they only carried balls like that during Christmas season.. weird... So I would this glass decoration as an alternative that I actually really like! It has this cracked look which I think suits a mystical egg very well. The colour is a bit off, but i think the transparency and design still makes it worthwhile and interesting! Colour can be handled in post-processing anyways...
Next I went on to maker her headpiece. At first I wanted to make it out of paper clay (that air dries so I wouldn't have to bake it). I made an outline out of paper and judged it against my wig head. Immediately I didn't like how it looked because it didn't look dainty enough and was worried how I would attach it to my head. Finally I decided to make a craft foam version and I like the result a whole lot more (bottom right)!
The gem was really easy to do and I'm happy it didn't cost me a thing. I used some red construction paper as a base and then created the shape out of hot glue. The paper gives it a flat backing so it's easy to mount on things and won't ruin the surface (table, etc.) that you're working on. The result was a translucent pink oval that looked okay on its own, but for some added oopmh I coated it with a couple layers of red nail polish and a top coat to keep it from chipping/giving it a nice shine. I used the nail polish method for my Synchronocity Rin cosplay on a silver metal necklace and it worked like a charm there too! Definitely recommend this if you can't afford resin and don't need anything too complicated or large.
I'll see you all very soon! Stay cool in this heat!