Tuesday 20 September 2011

Thoughts On: My Spirituality

So! I don't think I've ever mentioned this before, but I'm a fairly spiritual person. I find most people who I talk to only hold Christianity (and the rest of those divisions) and not really believing in anything to be the only two topics in the subject. All the time I hear about Christianity in my English classes, which is perfectly reasonable since that particular religion has had a grasp on the Western world for so long. Anyways, I wanted to touch on the topic in order to share a more personal portion of who I am. Perhaps I'll also enlighten you to look on another aspect of your life. Should I even mention that I don't mean to 'convert' anyone, or 'offend' anyone? I believe us all to be reasonable people here!

I searched the word online:

pa·gan (noun)


1. of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks.
2.a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.
3.an irreligious or hedonistic person.

When I saw this I laughed. For some reason, I can imagine this word can exist in this sense. And while I fit into both numbers 1) and 2), I don't really pay attention to number 3). Furthermore, it's crazy to just group all of us into one general catagory!

For instance, I believe myself to be someone who shares a certain connection with the natural world. I believe I have the most ties with Druidism mostly (although that was nearly wiped out, so actual little evidence remains). In order to paint a better picture, you may see similarities with Wicca, although Druids don't cast 'spells' perse. They actually share many of the same Gods and Goddesses. They worship the coming and goings of seasons as highly spiritual points in the year (the solstices and equinoxes), as well as many symbolic animals and elements. People have called me tree-huger and 'Mother Earth' throughout high school because I openly expressed my love for this world. I don't mind though, since that's exactly what I'm doing I guess lol.

It's funny though, since my grandparents weren't very religious, my dad doesn't really follow anything either. However, I feel like my mom might have influenced me slightly... Anyways, I guess it's good that I made my own choice about the world.. rather than someone being sucked into something by their parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment